At Binder & Associates, our scooter accident attorneys in Pasadena, California are keeping a watchful eye on the city’s transportation opportunities, which now includes options from popular services like Bird, Lime, and Spin — the nation’s top electric scooter rental companies.
Scooters are being introduced in large and small cities alike throughout the country, which is adding to traffic congestion and increasing the potential for accidents everywhere they are available. Like pedestrians and motorcyclists, scooter riders are vulnerable to accident injuries that occur when they collide with drivers operating larger vehicles in Los Angeles County who are disobeying traffic laws or are distracted behind the wheel. When riders are hurt in an accident, they are going to need legal help to recover their medical costs and lost wages, and the Pasadena scooter accident attorneys at Binder & Associates will provide experienced representation for all personal injury victims.
What Types Of Laws Apply To Scooter Riders In California?
Whether they are called motorized scooters, electric scooters, or are called by their company brand names the California Department of Motor Vehicles defines these riding options as having:
- Two wheels
- A floorboard that can be stood on while riding the scooter
- A motor that powers the vehicle
The California Legislature has outlined laws regarding scooter rentals and their use, including that operators must:
- Ride scooters that are equipped with a brake that will allow the braked wheel to skid on dry, clean, and level pavement
- Obey a maximum speed limit of 15 miles per hour, no matter where riding occurs
- Possess a valid driver’s license or instruction permit to ride
- Follow local traffic laws, lights, and signals
- Leave scooters parked upright, near bus benches, parking meters, advertising kiosks, or on the outer edges of sidewalks
Riders may NOT:
- Operate a scooter on highways or roadways where the speed limit is more than 25 miles per hour unless there is an adjacent bikeway or path they can ride on
- Have passengers while riding
- Ride while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Carry packages, bundles, or any articles that prevent the rider from using both hands to steer the scooter
- Ride on sidewalks, except when they are being used as entrances and exits
- Leave the scooter lying on sidewalks, blocking pedestrian paths
- Attach the scooter to another vehicle or to their person while riding
You do not have to wear a helmet while operating a scooter in the State of California unless you are under the age of 18, which should never be an issue as scooter companies require riders to be 18 or older to rent their equipment.
How Do Pasadena, California Scooter Accident Injuries Occur?
Much like other traffic-related accidents, scooter injuries are caused by collisions that occur through negligence.
That negligence can occur through:
- The scooter company’s lack of maintenance on the motorized vehicles in their fleet
- Malfunctioning brakes, tires, or steering components that lead to mechanical failure
- Rider impairment
- Operating scooters on paths and sidewalks, endangering pedestrians
- Tripping and falling over scooters left in the pedestrian walkways
- Riders colliding with negligent drivers in other motorized vehicles, including cars or trucks
When riders are not using scooters lawfully, accidents are going to occur, and injuries will follow. Likewise, vehicle drivers must pay attention to scooters on the roadways, and allow them the same rights to the road as another vehicle.
What Are The Most Common Scooter Accident Injuries In Pasadena, California?
When vehicle drivers are distracted or impaired, they can cause serious injuries to scooter riders because of their car or truck’s size, weight, and speed differential.
The most common scooter accident injuries can include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Loss of mobility
- Neck and spine injuries
- Organ damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Scrapes, bruises, and road rash
- Torn tendons, muscles, and ligaments
Each scooter accident injury will differ based on the rider and the circumstances of the accident. As the laws surrounding the use of electronic scooters expand in the State of California, so will the number of scooter companies that operate in the state, and our residents’ access to riding them. Unfortunately, the expansion of these services can lead to more accidents on our roadways.
How Can Binder & Associates Help With A Scooter Accident in Pasadena, California?
Binder & Associates Pasadena personal injury attorneys have successfully represented individuals who have been hurt by another’s negligence in accidents throughout the state, and scooter accidents are no different. Scooter riders’ rights must be protected from negligent motorists, insurance companies, and the scooter company’s representatives after an accident occurs, and our Pasadena scooter accident attorneys will take the lead in providing the experience necessary to pursue results in each case we represent.
If you have been involved in a scooter accident in Pasadena, California and have sought medical care:
- Fully follow all of your doctor’s treatment instructions
- Never allow an insurance company to review your medical records without speaking with an attorney
- Avoid using social media to document your accident or injuries
- Beware of giving a recorded statement to the negligent driver or their insurance representative
- Do not agree to a settlement for your injuries without speaking with an attorney
Our Pasadena scooter accident attorneys will provide the forward-thinking legal advice you need to focus on your recovery while we pursue the negligent party who caused your injuries without charging any fees unless we recover a settlement or jury verdict on your behalf.
Have You Lost A Loved One In A Pasadena, California Scooter Accident?
Scooter accidents place the rider in a vulnerable position, and when someone is hit by a negligent driver who is behind a heavier, faster vehicle, the injuries can be devastating, or even deadly. If you have lost a loved one in a scooter accident in Pasadena, California, our experienced Pasadena wrongful death attorneys would like to discuss your case during a free consultation. Together, we will pursue the individual or company that caused your loved one’s death for the compensation you deserve from your loss.
Our Binder & Associates Pasadena, CA personal injury law firm also focuses on the following practice areas:
- Wrongful Death
- Auto Accident
- Truck Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Dog Bite
- Public Transportation Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Premises Liability
- Brain Injury
- Uber and Lyft Accident
Contact Binder & Associates Scooter Accident Lawyers In Pasadena, California Today
If you have been injured in a scooter accident in Los Angeles County, contact our scooter accident attorneys in Pasadena, California at Binder & Associates today at (626) 793-9124 to discuss your case. Our Pasadena personal injury lawyers will protect your rights while pursuing the financial recovery you deserve for your injuries without delay.