Close Menu
Binder Law Group, PLC
Call for a free consultation (888) 818-5299

California drivers are legally required to carry auto accident insurance and can face potential penalties if caught driving a vehicle without insurance coverage. Despite this law, many drivers fail to obtain auto insurance or only secure minimal insurance coverage due to high premium costs. When a motorist with no insurance (uninsured) or with insufficient insurance (underinsured) causes your auto accident, you may not be able to receive compensation or you won’t have sufficient compensation to cover all your injuries and damages.

If you are injured in a car accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, collecting damages in a lawsuit against them will most likely yield unsatisfactory results. You may win an award for damages that the uninsured or underinsured driver won’t be able to afford. Worse, the uninsured/underinsured motorist may declare bankruptcy, leaving you with unpaid bills due to the car accident.

Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Claims

It is still possible for you to receive compensation for your car accident injuries even when the other party is uninsured or underinsured, or in case of a hit-and-run. Talk to an experienced auto accident attorney about your situation. Your lawyer can help you by:

  • Exploring all sources of compensation available in your situation
  • Examine your own insurance coverage for any uninsured/underinsured motorist clause
  • Representing you before insurance adjusters and if necessary, in court to obtain the maximum value of compensation that you legally deserve

Seeking compensation from your own insurance company is possible if you purchased a policy with an optional uninsured/underinsured (UIM) clause. Further, recovering from your own insurance will not lead to negative consequences such as higher auto accident premiums.

Claiming Compensation under UIM Coverage

There are specific requirements relevant to a claim under an uninsured/underinsured clause:

  • Your auto insurance policy must contain an uninsured/underinsured motorist clause
  • Your claim must be filed within two years of the date of the accident, failing which; the insurance company will deny your claim for being filed out of time
  • If your accident involves a hit and run, immediately file a police report that you can use to substantiate your claim
  • Note that your uninsured/underinsured motorist clause will ordinarily cover only your medical bills and lost wages. You can claim property damages if you have collision coverage

Insurance companies are not on your side and will find ways to deny your claim or limit the amount of their payout. It’s important to work with a skilled lawyer who can deal with insurance companies and obtain the full compensation that you deserve.

Contact Encino Car Accident Lawyers

The Encino car accident attorneys at Binder Law Group, PLC have decades of experience in auto accidents and dealing with insurance companies. Our Encino auto accidents lawyers will work very hard to secure the maximum value of compensation for your injuries and damages.

We invite you to contact us online or by phone today at (626) 793-9124 to arrange for your free initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus
  • The State Bar Of California
  • Super Lawyers Southern California
  • Avvo Rating 10 Superb
  • Super Lawyers Warren J. Binder
  • Supreme Court Of California
  • Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Pasadena Bar Association
Contact Form Tab

Floating Contact

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.