Being involved in a severe car accident is a shocking experience that can leave you confused and distressed. In the minutes that follow a car accident, your highest priority is the welfare of everyone involved and to ensure that anyone injured is taken to the nearest medical facility for treatment.
This is also a critical time for you to preserve potential legal claims that you may be entitled to under the situation. Immediately after an accident, everything you say and do can affect the outcome of a personal injury lawsuit or claim that you may have against the other party or person responsible for your accident.
What to Do after an Accident
If you have just been in a car accident, your first step should be to seek medical attention. After getting medical attention and care, your next step should be to contact a lawyer about your situation.
Other important steps after an accident include:
- Calling the police to report the car accident: If anyone is injured, immediately call 911. The police are responsible for preparing and filing the accident report
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver
- Some injuries are not always immediately apparent. Even if you feel fine after an accident, visit your doctor for a complete examination and seek appropriate medical treatment for any condition arising from the accident. Waiting a few weeks or longer to see a doctor may be used by the insurance company as a defense that the accident did not cause your injuries, making it more difficult to recover your damages
- Using your smartphone, take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle, and the other vehicle to help reconstruct the accident
- Gather names and contact details of eyewitnesses to the accident. Their statements may be taken at a later time
- Do not discuss how the accident happened: While you may inquire from the other driver if he and the other car’s occupants are okay, do not discuss how it occurred. Any statement that you make at this time can potentially harm the value of your legal claim
- Engage the services of an experienced accident attorney to help you present your claim with insurance companies. Insurance companies will attempt to deny or pay out as little as possible for an insurance claim
When you have the law firm of Binder & Associates on your side, our lawyers will work very hard to obtain the compensation that you legally deserve.
Contact Binder & Associates
Since 1973, Binder & Associates has represented thousands of Southern Californians in all types of accident claims. Contact us online or call us at (626) 793-9124 to learn more about what to do after a car accident in Pasadena or anywhere in Southern California. We offer a free initial consultation and accept all accident cases on a no-recovery, no-fee basis.