Stage Collapse at Anaheim HS Sends 25 Students to the Hospital
The stage collapsed at the Servite High School in Southern California (Anaheim) and Investigators are still looking into what caused a stage collapse on Saturday night that led to 25 high school students seeking hospital treatment for broken bones, severe cuts, bruising and other injuries. According to law enforcement officials who responded the emergency call, a stage at the all-boys Servite High School collapsed while students from the sister school, Rosary High School, were performing on it.
The girls who were singing and dancing on an add-on to the stage reportedly fell about 5 feet when the stage buckled. More than 600 audience members, including other students, parents and faculty, were watching the performance when the stage gave way under the performing girls.
Ongoing Investigation May Reveal Negligence
While the investigation into the causes of this accident is ongoing, early reports are indicating that the stage collapse may have been caused by excessive weight/too many students being placed on the stage. Anaheim Police Department Lieutenant Tim Schmidt explained that, in the course of the next two or so weeks, investigators will be looking into whether:
- Servite High School’s permit for the stage is current. If the permit is found to be outdated, the school may be found to be one of the negligent parties that contributed to this accident.
- The permit included any details regarding weight limits for the stage. If the permit is ultimately found to not include details about the maximum weight that the stage could hold, some negligence may be attributed to the city, office or inspector responsible for issuing these permits.
- Any repairs had been made on the stage and its collapsed extension since the 1980s when the add-on was installed. If repairs have not been made, the school may be forced to answer some serious questions about why nothing has been done to fortify the stage in more than 30 years.
As investigators continue to try to resolve the many questions that this accident has generated, last night, about 100 students, faculty and parents reportedly gathered at the high school to pray for the injured students.
Compensation for Accident Injuries
In the aftermath of accidents like this one, it’s important that injured people and their families are aware that they may have legal recourse for holding the negligent parties responsible for their role in causing or contributing to the accident. The Pasadena personal injury lawyers at Binder and Associates are here to advocate injured people’s rights in accidents like this one, and we can be trusted to:
- Figure out whether negligence played a role in causing the accident.
- If so, determine who is to blame.
- Help injured people obtain compensation for their injuries, medical bills and other losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are dedicated to providing them with the highest quality legal work possible.
Let Us Help You – Contact Us for More Info
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or 800-310-1529 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.