4 Things You Should Do Before Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer (Part 1)
After being in an accident and sustaining some type of injury, focusing on your recovery should be your primary concern. Once your health is stable, however, the next thing you should do is work on hiring a personal injury lawyer who can:
- Assess whether your injuries may have been caused by another party’s negligence or recklessness
- Defend your rights against insurance companies, corporate lawyers and other defense lawyers
- Help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
It’s important to point out that your choice in lawyers is an important one because choosing an inexperienced attorney or one who is not dedicated to your case can significantly affect the amount of compensation that you ultimately obtain. The following are the first two things you should do before meeting with and hiring a personal injury attorney to take on your case:
- Research the lawyer’s experience – First and foremost, you will need a lawyer who has experience handling cases yours. Take the time to research the attorney to see what types of cases he or she typically handles. While you can do your research online, it’s also a good idea to call the lawyer’s office to discuss his or her specific experience. Keep in mind that, as you look into the attorney’s experience, it’s a good idea to get specific information about prior cases he or she has handled, as well as the types of verdicts and settlements that have been obtained in these cases.
- Check the lawyer’s status with the state’s bar association – While a lawyer may look like a good option after you do some online research, the next step you should take when deciding whether or not that attorney is the right person to handle your legal matters is to consult with the state bar association to see whether the lawyer is in good standing. The bar association will keep records of whether formal complaints have been filed against the lawyer you are considering. It will also provide you with specific information regarding what areas of law a lawyer is certified to practice.
For additional tips on what you should do before hiring a personal injury lawyer, be sure to check out the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have been injured in a construction accident, traffic accident or other type accident or have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death, you need an attorney who understands personal injury law and knows what steps to take on your behalf. At Binder and Associates, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys have been committed to aggressively defending victims’ rights and helping people like you in the Los Angeles, California area since 1973. Our thorough knowledge of the law and our fierce litigating skills allow us to consistently help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are selective in the number of cases we take. This allows us to focus on the issue at hand, attack each case with vigor and provide the highest quality legal work possible. It also allows us to keep each of our clients informed about the status of their cases at all times so that they never feel that they are being left in the dark when it comes to their the important legal matters.
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.