About every 10 seconds, a car accident occurs in the U.S., and approximately 90 percent of all car accidents are caused, at least in part, by some type of human error (whether that be an error on the part of a driver, a passenger, someone outside of the vehicle, etc.), according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Despite the fact that human error is often a key factor in car accidents, in some cases, these collisions may be the result of dangerous roadway conditions.
When this is the case, people who are injured in these car accidents can hold the entity responsible for roadway maintenance and safety liable in civil courts. In many instances:
- The responsible party is a city, county or private organization.
- These parties can be named as defendants in car accident lawsuits.
- These parties can be ordered to compensate victims for their medical bills, property damage, lost wages, ongoing treatment costs and mental anguish.
Examples of Dangerous Road Conditions
Some specific examples of dangerous road conditions that can contribute to car accidents include (but are not limited to):
- Uncovered manholes
- Large potholes
- Dead animals, tree branches, parts of vehicles (that have possibly fallen off in an accident) or other debris left in the roads (i.e., not being cleaned up in a timely manner)
- Poorly marked lanes (either due to a lack of reflectors or fading paint dividing separate lanes of traffic)
- Poor lighting for roads at night
- Little or no signage (regarding upcoming curves in the road, oncoming traffic, possible pedestrian crossings, etc.)
- Lack of traffic lights at particularly busy intersections.
Additionally, weather conditions – such as heavy rains or hail – can make roads slick or otherwise dangerous to travel on.
Los Angeles Car Accidents Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident or have lost a loved one in any type of motor vehicle accident, you need an attorney who understands personal injury law and knows what steps to take on your behalf. At Binder and Associates, our Los Angeles car accident attorneys have been committed to aggressively defending victims’ rights and helping people like you in the Los Angeles, California area since 1973. Our thorough knowledge of the law and our fierce litigating skills allow us to consistently help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are selective in the number of cases we take. This allows us to focus on the issue at hand, attack each case with vigor and provide the highest quality legal work possible. It also allows us to keep each of our clients informed about the status of their cases at all times so that they never feel that they are being left in the dark when it comes to their the important legal matters.
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.