Picking up from Safety Tips for Driving on Icy and Snowy Roads this Winter Season (Part 1), here are some additional winter driving safety tips that can protect you and your family during your travels this holiday season. While Part 1 of this blog focused on what to do to prepare your car for winter driving, here in Part 2, we will focus on tips for safely operating your vehicle on icy and snowy roads.
In general, when driving on icy roads:
- Drive slower and make sure to keep greater distances between your vehicle and the vehicle you are following. A good rule to follow is to triple the typical distance between your vehicle and the vehicles in front of it. You will want to keep such distances because it will take a lot longer to slow down and stop your car on icy roads.
- Gently apply the brakes when slowing or stopping your car to reduce the chances of skidding. Ease off the brakes if you can feel the car’s wheels start to lock up.
- Make sure your lights and windshield are clean, and use your lights during the daytime to improve visibility.
- Do NOT try to pass snow trucks or plows, and be sure to give these vehicles plenty of space, as the drivers have many blind spots.
If your vehicle starts to skid:
- Stop stepping down on the accelerator.
- Steer the car in opposition to rear-wheel skids – meaning that you should steer right if the rear wheels are skidding to the right (or left if the rear wheels are skidding to the left).
- Gently pump the brakes if you have standard brakes. If you have anti-lock brakes, do NOT pump the brakes; instead, step down on the brake pedal.
- If your front wheels start to skid, shift the car into neutral and refrain from immediately trying to steer the vehicle.
Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident or have lost a loved one in any type of traffic accident, you need an attorney who understands personal injury law and knows what steps to take on your behalf. At Binder and Associates, our Los Angeles car accident attorneys have been committed to aggressively defending victims’ rights and helping people like you in the Los Angeles, California area since 1973. Our thorough knowledge of the law and our fierce litigating skills allow us to consistently help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are selective in the number of cases we take. This allows us to focus on the issue at hand, attack each case with vigor and provide the highest quality legal work possible. It also allows us to keep each of our clients informed about the status of their cases at all times so that they never feel that they are being left in the dark when it comes to their the important legal matters.
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.