While California winters are pretty mild when compared to those in some other parts of the country, many people commute to colder locales to enjoy white, snowy winters with their loved ones. During such trips, it’s crucial that people who have not driven in icy or snowy conditions take the time to become familiar with some essential winter driving safety tips so that they and their families can safely celebrate this holiday season.
Preparing for the Journey: How to Get Your Vehicle Ready
Before getting on the road, you should make sure that your vehicle is fully prepared so that you reduce your chances of getting into an accident, becoming stranded and/or not having the necessary equipment you need to get your vehicle up and running again. To prepare your vehicle:
- Check the air pressure levels in all of your tires, and fill your tires with air if their PSI is less than the manufacturer’s recommended levels.
- Check the tread on all of your tires. For driving in the snow, the tread should be at least 6/32”. If your tires have less tread then this, then you should replace them before driving in snowy or icy conditions.You can easily check this by putting a penny (with Lincoln’s head pointed towards the tire) between the grooves of tread on a tire. If the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the penny is covered, then there is at least 6/32” of tread left on your tires.
- Check your vehicle’s heater/defroster, lights, and ignition and exhaust systems to make sure they are all properly working.
- Pack a safety kit to keep in the trunk of your car. This kit, which will be essential if you are stranded on the side of the road for any amount of time, should include the following:
- Jumper cables, flares and reflectors
- An icy scraper and snow brush
- A first aid kit
- Sand or kitty litter (to use for traction if your car is stuck in the snow)
- A flashlight and batteries
- A blanket, gloves, a hat and boots
- A gallon of water and nonperishable food items
For more winter driving safety tips, be sure to check out the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident or have lost a loved one in any type of traffic accident, you need an attorney who understands personal injury law and knows what steps to take on your behalf. At Binder and Associates, our Los Angeles car accident attorneys have been committed to aggressively defending victims’ rights and helping people like you in the Los Angeles, California area since 1973. Our thorough knowledge of the law and our fierce litigating skills allow us to consistently help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are selective in the number of cases we take. This allows us to focus on the issue at hand, attack each case with vigor and provide the highest quality legal work possible. It also allows us to keep each of our clients informed about the status of their cases at all times so that they never feel that they are being left in the dark when it comes to their the important legal matters.
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.